Are you a newbie entering the large website builder world? I’ve heard many questions regarding this topic such as, if I buy a domain name do I need hosting? If this sounds like you then I have the answers that you need.
I’ve been there before and I know it can be a little confusing so I’m going to help you. In this article, I will explain the differences between web hosting vs domain registration.
Along with explaining the differences, below I will show you how to use these together to create your own personal website today.
What is a domain name?
A domain name identifies an organization on the internet. A domain name is your website name. People are going to search for your domain while looking up your website. An example of a domain name would be mycooldomain.com.
What is web hosting services?
Web hosting is what allows your website to be viewed on the internet. A hosting company houses your files and gives you storage space on the web. A web hosting company is the heartbeat of your website.
Every blog, forum, website, or online business hosts their servers somewhere. Without it your website cannot be accessed. Web hosting is like an apartment. You sign up and you rent out space on a hosting provider’s server. If you stop paying your monthly rent you will no longer have an apartment to live in.
How much does web hosting cost?
Hosting prices vary. However, you can find cheap yearly hosting for your website easy. I always recommend paying yearly to get a better price. You will end up saving yourself over 50% by making this wise decision.
There are many types of hosting plans. You have Shared hosting, VPS, and Dedicated. For new site owners, I recommend shared hosting servers, which is what most bloggers use.
Shared hosting usually costs around $10-$11 with most hosts. However, I strongly recommend that you go with SiteGround. The starting cost is $3.95 a month and they have the top customer satisfaction rating among web hosts.
You want to be able to save, but let’s be honest you need a hosting company that does not suck. SiteGround offers a 99.99% uptime rating and they have a 300ms load response time which is impressive.
How much does domain registration cost?
Domain prices vary as well. Usually they cost about $10 – $15 a year. However, many domain registrars like to run promotions to give you a better price.
Another reason that I recommend that you use SiteGround is that you don’t have to pay for a domain upfront nor will you have to pay yearly for as long as you host with them. Many hosting companies only offer you a domain for one year so this is a great feature about SiteGround.
How do they work together?
Once that you understand the differences you know that both are a huge part of your success and they cannot be separated. You would use your hosting company to host your website domain name.
To set them up to work together you would have to log into your domain registrar and point your domain to your hosting company. To cut the setup time in half you should choose a hosting service that gives you a domain such as SiteGround, eHost, iPage, etc. You will no longer have to login back and forth when you use your hosting providers domain registration feature.
You need a platform.
Now that we know all about hosting and domains, you will need a platform. WordPress powers over 27% which makes it the largest platform in the world. I use WordPress for all of my websites.
Some hosting providers offer free and quick WordPress installation so you won’t have to get your hands dirty. Below I will show you how to set up a website using WordPress.
5 minute site setup. (Follow these steps)
- At the top of the page click on WP services.
- You have three hosting plans to choose from. You can choose their StartUp plan, GrowBig plan, or their GoGeek hosting plan. Choose the plan that is going to be right for your blog.
- On the next screen you have the option of registering a domain for your new web host. Check to see if the domain that you want is available.
- If your domain is available on the next page it is going to say Congratulations! Domain (blank) is available for registration with your hosting account!
- Now enter your account information such as your email and password.
- On the same page in the next box enter your client information such as your first name, last name, company, etc.
- Then enter your payment info to pay for your hosting.
- SiteGround allows you to choose your data center so choose the one nearest to you for faster site speed.
- No extra services are needed.
- Pay now and on the next screen you are given the option to proceed with their WordPress preinstall wizard. This feature automatically installs WordPress for you so you will not be given any added hassles.
- Choose any template for now.
- Create your WordPress login and now log into your new website.
- You’re all set!